From 23rd to 26th April 2018, PARM and AGRHYMET organised in partnership an advanced ARM training course (CD2) to create a pool of certified ARM experts among the extension service to support farmers across Niger and the Sahel region.
The PARM regional training activity on Agricultural Risk Management (ARM) in the Sahel brought together over 25 participants from seven different countries, such as:
- officials of Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Environment from the Sahel region (i.e. Niger, Senegal, Cameroon, Mali, Mauritania, Chad and Burkina Faso);
- representatives of West Africa farmers’ organizations (PROPAC and ROPPA);
- researchers and students from AGRHYMET.
It was organized and delivered by AGRHYMET with support of external trainers from University of Lome’, Université Cheikh Anta Diop de Dakar (UCAD), University Gaston Berger (UGB), University of Niamey, CIRAD and PARM. The four days were presentation/lecture-based grouped in the following modules:
- Module 1: Agricultural risk management: an overview;
- Module 2: Evaluation and prioritization of agricultural risks;
- Module 3: ARM tools linked to the Sahel context;
- Module 4: Roles and responsibility for ARM.
The ARM training aimed to raise awareness on agricultural risk management and present case studies/ARM initiatives within the Sahel region.
It was conducted in a very coordinated way, it was informative and complete, considering both the PARM holistic approach and the ARM practical examples from countries represented in the training. The participatory approach fit with the interest and the willingness to get involved of the audience.
PARM and AGRHYMET will continue working together to include the ARM curriculum in MSc programmes offered by AGRHYMET.